Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Beginning to An End

Sunrise at Cape Coast, Ghana 

Personal Experience Presentations, A Final dinner, and Sunday Morning Service.

Today, we prepare for our journey back to the land of the free and home of the brave. In 10 hours we will be boarding our Delta bird to fly us safely across the world back to our American reality. This reality has been incredibly rearranged for each and every person of our Ghana group. It was all made known yesterday afternoon as we all sat together and were able to express our deepest opinions and thoughts about our educational and personal transformations while here in Ghana. Our discussion together was full of tears, laughter, and sincere appreciation for Ghana, our new home away from home. Experiences ranged from finding one's voice again and regaining inner strength, to realizing what can paralyze our natural ability and how to collect an opinion about a world only portrayed by media standard. The emotional afternoon was followed by a final dinner together fit for a king and queen. We arrived at a local hotel banquet hall and was greeted by a sight of elegance. Table tops dressed with white cloth and lit candlesticks, chairs adorned with red bows, jazz music whistling in the background and a feast for an army was set for our arrival. Dr. Seth and Tess began with presenting us our very own "Alabama in Ghana" Kentes and we wore them proudly throughout the night as we completed our last dinner together, snapped pictures by the cool ocean breeze, and ended the night traditionally with rooftop chats and laughter at the hotel. A particular highlight of the night was me being able to finally teach Tess and her brother Fred the "Cotton-Eyed Joe." They rocked it and promised to practice at home. Who would have ever known that the "Cotton-Eyed Joe" would ever find its way to West Africa? The next morning was a bittersweet morning as it began the day of our departure home. We attended the morning church service at beautiful church down the street. Even after us crazy Americans showed up halfway through the service because we got the times mixed up, the church was pleasantly gracious to have us there and made us stand in the middle of the congregation after the service to be introduced as The University of Alabama. As cheers and waves were made, my heart felt even more heavy to leave this peaceful nation that I now can call a home. As our last day in Ghana is coming to a close and our flight departure is approaching fast: Through Zach's request, I would like to express my very own summary of purpose, expectations, and lessons learned shared with the group during yesterday's discussion. This, is why Ghana will forever hold a warm place in my heart: Purpose: As touched on previously, my initial purpose for setting out on this journey was to diversify myself. I knew that diversity was the key to understanding my personal place in this world, not just my surrounding states. Also, I knew that diversity was my key to spiritual self growth and the only way that I was going to be able to successfully communicate with different mindsets and backgrounds. Expectations: My initial expectations were basically to learn how to adapt to a living environment so different that mine. I knew that if I try to experience as many different lifestyles as I can, then I could be able to pick the positives and throw out the negatives of them all to create the best environment for me and those a part of my life. Also, I needed to see things and see people that would humble my outlook on life. I needed a physical and mental challenge.... And my wishes were met. Lessons: I have learned too many things to count throughout this Ghanaian road and all can be somewhat compressed into these particular topics.- America has a greater influence on the world than I remotely realized. I have always been taught that America was a large influential power throughout the world, but never to the extent that it is in actuality. Within Ghana in particularly, President Obama's picture imprint is a design of one of the first displays of art at The Adinkra Village and billboards of his support stretch across roads all throughout the country. Also, children at the private schools where we completed our service learning are itching for a chance to discuss our government structure and if Kia wears stilleto heals like Beyonce. This trip shined a bright light on the fact that I, an American, need to be well aware at the extent that other nations depend on me for knowledge and guidance. Less may be more. Ghana has broadened my entire outlook on life in many different ways particularly in the aspect of "less actually being more." I have seen that even though material possessions are hard to come by and afford in Ghana, the locals are more happy than so many of the richest individuals I know back at home. For them, having few sources of entertainment and luxury brings focus and importance back to relationships. The effects of this in Ghana are obvious as family and friends are considered top priority, married families are joined as one and not separated into two, and spiritual strength is more commendable than physical strength. Because of this children can walk two miles to school or to play by themselves without parents wondering about their safety. Parents are left spending less time worrying about their children, family, and friends and have more time to experience planning things with them. To be a part of something you do not have to be born into it. A lady at the market Friday looked at me and asked me how long I have been in Ghana and to where I have traveled. I answered Accra, Cape Coast, Sunyani, Kumasi, and followed with the different field studies that we have participated in. She looked at me with sparkling wide eyes and said, "You are Ghanaian now." It dawned on me that because I experienced and respected Ghana, I was a part of it. I loved that feeling. Keeping traditions alive unifies a people and a nation. Almost every day in Ghana we were taught another tradition. Some of them included the handshake snap (practiced by practically all locals,) basket balancing for transportation, the significance of music, and the cherished friendship with nature. The people of Ghana are proud of their nation and culture and are always so excited to share it with others. I am sure that tradition has a unifying effect throughout the local people as keeping pride and respect for the nation is a main priority. Along with all of these, I also gained: Courage from the swinging bridge at Kakum, Rhythm from the Ashanti dancers, Love And Respect from the school children and Concentration from the Kente weavers. After experiencing this life I can definitely say that I have learned to defeat communication barriers, be more aware of cultural differences and benefits, and to be persistent when dealing with others who know I am out of my comfort zone. These lessons are only the beginning at the end of this adventure. I am positive that my return home tomorrow will allow me to continue comparing my American way to Ghana time and learning the benefits of both worlds. I absolutely feel that each and every person making up this trip was placed together by purpose. Together we have held strong and without one person, one link, we would have had a serious gap in this experience. Each individual here has had a significant impact on the group as a whole and we have learned from each other just as much as we have learned from this beautiful, sweet country. Finally, from the words of the Shaman and the Ghanaian lifestyle: I have learned to not envy anyone, to not be greedy with wealth, to continue experiencing the world as a whole, and that learning from words in a book will never again be the same because life really is love and love is what you whatever you want to make it. Cheers to Ghana! Thank you for two weeks of soul searching and adventure. You will forever be a part of me and I will continue to learn through your lessons for the rest of my days. Sincere. Humbled. Thankful. Until Next Time, Life is Love

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassie, I'm impressed by what you learned from the trip to Ghana. Keep spreading the 'gospel'. My hope is that more students would enrol in the Alabama in Ghana 2011 course. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete