Friday, July 9, 2010

A Step Towards the Rainbow

The Beginning: Photo Above: Me, Amy Hicks and Katie Pickle showing off a night's worth of making colorful braclets for future Ghanaian friends. 

I am beginning this blog journey in no better setting than the present. I will be traveling to Ghana Africa in approximately 3 days to begin a field studies program with my dear college, The University of Alabama. I am more excited, inspired, and driven now than ever before in my whole life! While on this journey, my mission is to engulf myself with the Ghanaian culture in order to understand and appreciate the vastly diverse world that we live in today. As for myself, this is something that for the longest time I was very afraid of. Why afraid you wonder? Well, in living in a very small town for my entire life I was not exactly exposed to much of a diverse surrounding of people and backgrounds. As much as I adore my hometown and raising, it did not necessarily prepare me for the huge world surrounding my comfort zone. This aspect made the beginning of my college experience quite the job! As of my first freshman day of college, I had never had an educational class with an African American throughout the entire history of my education, 13 years. I understood the lack of diversity surrounding my life and knew that it was my job to defeat it. In my eyes, diversity was just the medicine I needed to end my battle with a closed, confidence hungry mind and the key to unlock my hopes of finding my individual place in the massive world that I had not even begun to observe and understand. Just that... happened. Two years in to this journey of understanding, I found myself staring at the study abroad table in the Student Center on campus after an incredibly tempting call to recieve a free t-shirt at the booth. Free t-shirt? I'm THERE! So in looking at this goofy t-shirt with a dancing elephant on a globe, I began to glance at the programs offered through UA's study abroad program. I looked with only dreams, because I understood the financial responsibility of such a program. Never with a hint of reality. I became entranced with a program entitled: Ghana: Field Studies in Africa and found myself leaving my friend Katie Pickle to study alone for an hour and a half. Something felt right. Really right. After class I literally ran to financial aid to recieve my status on additional funding and to my surprise, I had one week earlier been awarded a $1,300 grant in Federal Student Aid's response to my increasing academic standards. FATE- my word for that entire week. I signed up for Ghana: Field Studies in Africa, just a week later. The word approached me again this week as my travel date to Ghana sped upon me and obstacle after obstacle was in my way. In addition to the normal problems of travel, I was informed by my study abroad Professor, Dr. Appiah Opoku's wife (a born and raised citizen of Ghana) that her mother had began a school for struggling children in Ghana and was in desperate need for supplies. Mrs.Opoku stated that she had the supplies packed and ready but lacked the funding to send it to Ghana, making the supplies waste away in her closet. Little did I know that in the meanwhile my wonderful family from The Retreat at Lake Tamaha (where I am currently completing my marketing internship) was planning me a going away celebration with a surprise travel gift of $500. Little did they know they were going to be the helping hands Mrs. Opoku so desperately needed to finally send her mother's school supplies. I sit today in a room filled with supplies, a heart filled with warmth and the thought of my journey across the world in just 3 simple days. Three days separates me from my first big girl step into that unknown world of diversity that I so strongly crave. Overwhelmed. Anxious. Loved. Until next time, Life is Love

3 comments:

  1. hey there i checked out your blog and im very impressed lol i hope that you have made it to Africa in one peice and that everything is going good for you i will be checking your blog as often as i can and i hope that you post some interesting things on here. It's raingi outside i just thought that you might want to know that and im not going to loose my arm anytime soon lol. anywho i love ya talk to you soon. BE CAREFUL! Dont be to friendly haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Doty!
    So sorry for such a late reply! But for some reason, leaving back comments has not worked on many computer systems from the blogger site that I am using. It really makes no sense, but it is what it is!
    I am glad that I am getting back to you now though and I am thrilled beyond belief you are following my page!
    I hope that writing my adventures so far has done them a bit of justice.. its just so hard to describe this incredibly different, and crazy beautiful place in words. After posting some photographs when I get back to the states maybe the picture will be a little better.
    It is raining here too! But unlike Alabama it comes a sprinkle and then leaves. This is Africa's winter/spring really- so the outside temperature is so much cooler than home!
    I have really been worried about your almost deceased arm BUT I am so excited that you have it under control. My stomach cringes when I think about it. lol!
    I am trying so hard not to be too nice. Here, it will definitely get you in trouble. At first I was so afraid that I would do wrong, but now I walk the streets like they are my own. Ha!
    But honestly, I really do have to think about what I say and what I do constantly. Even with that, I am much more comfortable with the city and the people than I was before. That was my priority goal!
    Keep following me and commenting! It gives me a good smile when I see your chats. :)
    Love you ladyyyy! hugs!
    Cassie Mac

    ReplyDelete