Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Blessing of Smiling Purple

The Ashanti Nation and Service Learning:

Yesterday we took a journey to the Ashanti cultural center in Kumasi and afterward to the Ashanti King's Palace.
Upon arrival at the Ashanti cultural center, traditional Ashanti dancers had already been preparing for our arrival. We were all were seated on the performance stage while drums and seating arrangements were made. To our, and my special amazement we were introduced to three different traditional Ashanti dances, with costumes to match. Meanwhile, we were taught how respected the dancers were in the village and how, without hesitation, their art was an important and absolute essential part of the Ashanti nation. During their performance we were told that if we felt the urge to join them that they would be honored! Out of our group no one interrupted their traditional performances, literally because we were in awe half the time. Afterward, they brought all of the dancers out, they scooped us out of our seats and began to teach us.
Everyone was out of their seats laughing, joking, and dancing the morning away.
Dr. Seth was running around making a video of all of us on the dance floor that I am sure will come back to haunt us one day.
After dancing a lady dancer came up to me and told me that I was her sister because I was as short as her. I laughed hysterically and told her that me being so short was always a laugh among my friends and that it was very hard to find ladies as short as me, but her short presence made me feel very welcome. We laughed together for quite awhile.. until the group was nowhere to be found. I frantically put back on my shoes and ran out the door, wanting to stay there for hours to talk and dance with my Ghanaian short sister.
Afterward, the group was led to The Kings palace.
It was alluring to say the least! So much Ashanti culture, tradition, and law was packed into an hour discussion.
Kumasi, the city we are presently in, is part of the Ashanti region in central Ghana, and the Ashanti nation (the nation of gold) is ruled by one King and a Queen Mother. If I could describe the Ashanti culture in three words they would be:
Peaceful, Joyful, and Plentiful.
An interesting thing about the Ashati King is that he is the only king throughout all of the regions of Ghana that cannot step down, or be relieved from his duties as king until he passes away. When he passes, a King is selected from only his mother's side, as the Ashanti believe that only the mothers side of a King is royal.
This too is the same for the Queen Mother. Even though this rule is so, the Ashanti nation has never had a problem with a leader's choices or decisions about the nation. The people have always looked to the King and the Queen Mother for guidance throughout all of their life activities.
Upon arrival to the palace, we did not get to actually step foot on the King's palace yard because it is so sacred but we went to the museum that is just outside his courtyard which houses many things that he uses, still to this day, for many of his traditional and daily activities.
The Ashanti culture is magical.
Today we began our service learning projects throughout the city. Four of our students are doing their service at a local clinic while the rest of us are guest teachers at a nearby private school.
We began the day dropping our future doctors and nurses off at the clinic and Steven proceeded to the school with the rest of us. We had no clue about the unbelievable welcome awaiting us.
As our bus pulled around the school yard our view was full of purple uniforms surrounding a wide open field in the shape of a circle. As soon as the bus stopped all you could hear were cheers. Waves and smiles and excitement flooded the bus and our hearts. I was in dis-belief.
We stepped off of the bus to even more cheers. Imagine us as The University of Alabama football team stepping off the bus to walk to Bryant Denny Stadium before kick off-
We were the football team and the students were the dedicated fans.
Along with our welcoming ceremony was a demonstration of a riding lawn mover that the school had just received from a very good friend of the Dean. As a school worker hopped on the riding lawn mower the children and teachers chanted and shouted together in thanks and amazement at the mower.
Stares followed the mower as it surrounded the field of high grass. I was humbled and touched at the amount of love, respect, and appreciation shown.
Beyond the school yard was a school house, filled with about 20 rooms of no doors or windows, just fresh air. Lines behind the building were drying clothes of the children and workers. To the left was a break area, complete with a snack hut and 3 black pots of steamy Jillaf being prepared for the nearby lunch hour.
Each of us were assigned a single classroom. Ages in the school ranged from 4-16 years of age.
After awhile, Dr. Seth grabbed me and introduced me to a smiling class of 4-6 year olds and said goodbye. The amount of children per classroom ranged from 30-50. I believe my class had around 30 to begin with, and grew gradually to probably 60-70 of children passing by in curiosity. I was thoroughly overwhelmed.
As the schools are based on a British school system every greeting is very structured. To a guest the entire class begins
"Good Morning. Welcome. How are you"
The eager voices of my smiling children was a blessing beyond belief.
I have never felt so welcomed anywhere else in my life.
The little ones were sent to break after a short introduction of themselves and what they want to be when they grow up.I decided to go with them, and my experience was one in a lifetime.
At break the children usually play games together and eat lunch. Today, was different. I would pay anything to have video of the scene of children surrounding me and pictures of the many little hands constantly grabbing mine.Sadly, communication was hard with the little ones, thanks to my southern accent, but they did not care. My presence was enough, and I was just fine with that.
My family instantly grew to over 100.
Eventually, a young teacher named Richard rescued me from my new family and gave me a tour of the entire school. He introduced me to the cook, ( which would not communicate with me unless I spoke the native Twi language, so the wonderful Richard walked me through it,)the construction workers, and 5 other classrooms.
My family immediately grew another 200.
I cannot wait to teach again in the morning. Despite my nerves, my friend Annie and myself have decided to pair up in a classroom to try to make the younger children communicate with us better. We have planned stories, counting, and Red Rover to entertain... lets hope we can teach the children successfully and break the communication barrier that our strong accents stick us with.
I am saying a prayer tonight for the whole group- that we may speak clearly, we may be strong, and we may leave a lasting impression of love.

Thrilled. Inspired. Prayerful.
Until Next Time,
Life is Love

No comments:

Post a Comment